A Brief History:
In 1967, Inola's Extension Homemakers Club decided the community needed a new library. The club appointed a Library Committee in May of 1967, consisting of Mrs. Win (Kay) Ingersoll, Mrs. Bill Krause, Mrs. Henry Powers, Mrs. L.D. (Willa) Littlefield, Jr., Mrs. Clyde Stout, Mrs. Herb Stout
and Mrs. Bob Ward. The Town Board gave the club permission to build the library on town property.
Long time Inolan Dorothy Turner was hired as the Library
Director in 1983. She ran the library alone.
In 1989, an addition was completed, funded through a grant.
the Library Board consisted of six members: Kay Ingersoll, Willa Littlefield, Geneva Krause, Janet Kight, Marge Abeling, and T.L. Riggs. In 1996 Gail (Oquin) Whitworth was elected to replace Janet Kight on the Library Board. In March, 2000, Dorothy Turner retired after 19 years as Director. Since that time the library has been staffed by many dedicated employees. Due to the generosity of Kay & Winn Ingersoll, the library was given a new home across the street at its current location, 15 N. Broadway. Kay & Winn contributed greatly to this by purchasing and renovating the building. The library currently has over 14,000 titles in its collection, now viewable on our online catalog.
Barbara Runyan, Pres.
Kathy Daily, Sec.
Wendy Ingersoll Keener
Inola Public Library
15 N Broadway
P.O. Box 1237
Inola, OK 74036
You can also fill out our online form.